I have an old boat. Old boats have issues. Ergo, my old boat has issues.
Well, the other day I fixed one of them but didn't have a chance to test it out. My V-Berth has had a leak since I bought the boat but it fell down the priority list as I fixed the other 100 problems. Once I fixed the cushion problem, I had to fix the leak problem or I'd have a new cushion problem.
I needed a rain to find out exactly where the leak was. Luckily, a good hosing would work and I did that last week when I scrubbed the deck shiny-clean. I found out it was the deckplate for the windscoop thing.
So this last weekend, I pulled out some tools and planned on rebedding the thing. As I got started, I realized that the thing was so old and chipped that although the bedding needed to be done, it was still going to leak. The cover didn't fit in snugly enough, the plate was cracked and I was able to see that water was getting in from three different areas.
There was no way to fix this thing and keep it functional. I had to seal the damned thing down so that I couldn't open it until I have a chance to replace it. So, out comes the silicon sealant goop and everything is shut tight.
Last night, it poured so my fingers are crossed that the next time I'm at the boat, the v-berth will be dry. And hopefully, I'll be able to turn that event into a more interesting post than this one.