07 November 2008

Is It Over Yet?

As many of you know, I am playing the Virtual Volvo Ocean Race Game. This first leg has been going on for over 3 weeks and I am looking forward to not having to worry about the 3AM wind change when I go to bed.

But what's really weird is that the last two days have felt exactly like when I've really been at sea. By the end of a leg, I have always had this feeling of just being done with it. It's like the last two days stretch for an eternity. I know that it's almost done and I know that the boat will make it there but that time slows down dramatically.

Going into Hawaii this past Summer I remember thinking that if I just shut my eyes and got a really good sleep, I could wake up and I'd be there. And this wasn't just when I was on watch.



Well, my virtual boat is 144 miles from Cape Town and if I take down my Code Zero and keep the boat pointing the way it is, I will eventually get there. And then, oddly enough, in one week I'll be ready to untie the docklines and head on back out for Cochin, India. And just expect time to slow down again in another two weeks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to go to Africa. I hear it's a cool country. Todd wants to know if they have snow machine races there.

Anonymous said...

Good luck and have a safe watch:)

Zen said...

I'm right on your 6 dude!

arrrg