17 April 2008

The Great Coffee Bean Experiment

If you are coming here from the Pacific Cup links, please check out my Pacific Cup posts.


I have done it. A few of you may remember my plan for quitting coffee. I didn't believe it was possible but I have done it.

Michael, over at Peconic Puffin gave me the best advice...slowly wean myself from the juice and it will cut back on withdrawals. I started in January and was down to 1 cup a day the weekend before last. Then I got sick and was laid out in bed. Score! If I was going to feel miserable, have a headache, and feel like throwing up anyway, why not throw some detox time in too.

A friend had told me that I would only have detox symptoms for ~5 days. Well, he was wrong, I had the afternoon headaches for 9 days but I've now had 3 straight days with no symptoms and think I'm off of the stuff finally.

Now, I can sail to Hawaii.

5 comments:

Zen said...

Whahooooooooo!

Wicketywack said...

Why would ANYONE want to quit coffee?

EVK4 said...

Oh, I don't *want* to. I love coffee and I'm picking the habit right back up on or about July 27th.

What I don't want is to have the withdrawal symptoms on that one day when it's all hands on deck and nobody can get below to brew me a caffeine fix.

I don't actually foresee this on a tradewinds sail but on my North Atlantic trip there were a few days like that.

PeconicPuffin said...

Nine days! Wow. When you retox in Hawaii (kona beans) you are going to have an outstanding time!

Brendhan said...

http://www.starbucks.com/grocery/icedcoffee.asp

15 cans. wouldn't weigh more than 8 lbs. My treat.