15 May 2008

Finally, a Good Pair of Sailing Shoes

All my shoes slip on wet decks. So, I needed a new pair of sailing shoes. There was no way in Hades I was going to spend over $100 on sailing shoes. So I made a decision to go with Converse or Van's. Heck, I'd crossed the Atlantic in some low top all*stars, they're good shoes.

But then I found out that they're $45 on Zappos. And $40 at Nordstrom. I'd rather fall overboard than spend that kind of money on tennis shoes that I planned on trashing. Heidi told me, "you skinflint dog-bastard, that's how much shoes are". Yet, I couldn't spend the money. So I continued slipping and sliding all over deck, relying on my extraordinary athletic prowess to stay on the boat reasonably close to where I wanted to be.

Then it hit me. Target. Payless. They would have shoes for the $30 that I intended to spend. First stop, Target, and I found these:

Thirty buck Chucks. Well, they're not Chucks, they have that cut out star but what the heck is the difference. I have sailing shoes that will keep me on board. For $30.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

As Nietzsche said, "Before you criticize someone, you should sail a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes."

Wicketywack said...

$30 gets you shoes that will stink to high hell after 2 hours on the water.

EVK4 said...

Have you ever smelled an off-shore crew? think 2 weeks with babywipes as your only shower. My sailing shoes will be the least of our worries.

Besides, all stars got me across the Atlantic, they should get me through August without being too stanky.

Tillerman said...

I think I can already smell them.

ahmed said...

you paid too much.Here in sunny South Africa you can get a pair for $10/

Carol Anne said...

I was looking for new shoes myself ... I discovered that the Alco in T or C had All-Stars for $9 ... the hitch was that they only had a few sizes, and mine (women's 5 1/2 or children's 4) wasn't one of the sizes available.

Anonymous said...

Wow.. Those are adorable. My friend just got a same pair of Converse shoes, but I don't know from where he got those pair, i will ask and get back to you.