More boating dollars going through the scuppers this week. During one of my many clean-the-boat-up days last week, I stepped on the main halyard and noticed that the cover ripped right off. It's like it evaporated into dust. That's bad. Since I knew I was going to be replacing the sheets anyway, why not go all out and replace the halyards, backstay, and reefing line too.
During these spending sprees, it has become more and more apparent that unless I need the part right now, stay the heck way from Worst Marine. Even factoring in shipping, my running rigging order saved me 45% going through Mauri Pro Sailing; in fact, when I compared, I could have saved a few dollars on those Harken blocks I bought last week from Annapolis Performance Sailing. Live and learn.
So, here's what I did for my lines:
Notice that I color coded my starboard and port jib sheets. That really amuses me for some reason. Years ago, my brother, a merchant marine, was complaining about the quality of able-bodied seamen on board, he decided that all newbies were to have their boots color coded so they could see the difference between port and starboard more easily. Around that time, we went to play paintball up by Mare Island...we ran up against some pro paintballers (probably lived in their parents' basements too) who tore us up. At the end of the day we noticed that his work boots had been tagged with direct hits (red on his left boot, green on his right boot). He had to go to sea like that, couldn't get it off.
Of course, I don't allow boots on my boat anyway, so I had to do something to help my crew out.