21 October 2005

England expects that every man will do his duty

Today is the 200th anniversary of the battle of Trafalgar. My Father is off paying tribute to the battle and his hero, Admiral Nelson, right now in Cadiz. I'm sitting at home blogging about it.

I can't possibly add anything to the history of the battle so I'll just link to it. But I do want to point out one of my favorite subtle (actually one of the few) moments in the movie Master and Commander. When the young midshipman lost his arm in battle, Captain Aubrey gives the young man a book about Nelson with a picture of the Admiral on the cover. Possibly the only time in a major Hollywood epic they didn't hit you over the head with the meaning of the moment.

Oh, and happy birthday to my sisters, Barbara and Clare.

No comments: